(Entry # 4) Let's do some Muay Thai already!

I am still not used to the sleep schedule. Being w way around the world means it is daytime here when it is nighttime where I am used to being. Since I took a long nap yesterday, I was up all night. I'm pretty bleary-eyed, but giddy as a schoolgirl about getting to do some Muay Thai today.

One of my favorite sounds is the sound that emanates from next door to my hotel room. As the sun comes up, the competition team at Dragon Muay Thai starts training. The sound of shins smacking into Thai pads and trainers yelling out commands, and fighters grunting with each blow is like music to my ears. I could wake up to this every day. Unfortunately, I did not 'wake up' to it, because I never went to sleep, but it's a great way to get the blood pumping in the morning.

I got up and mixed me a protein shake and went for a short jog this morning. The one thing I have really struggled with since since knee surgery is running. The impact is very uncomfortable, and I am very unsteady since my quadriceps is not firing. A knee brace helps a lot, so I went for it anyway. I have to strengthen my legs, so there really is not any option.

After my jog, I took a shower and got ready to go train by watching some Muay Thai on line. I had a couple hours to burn, so what better way to get in the mood.

I do not know why I had all this nervous energy, but I was chomping at the bit to train today.

When I got to the gym, there were many familiar faces, as well as a lot of new ones. The staff is amazing at Tiger Muay Thai. The ladies at the front desk are so sweet and kind. The place is growing like crazy. It reminds me of Las Vegas. Every time I come they have built a new building, and hired a bunch of new people. Their fitness programs are really blowing up, but I came here for Muay Thai. I just buy a Muay Thai pass, and leave the weight lifting to those that want to get good at working out.

Class began with 20 minutes of running, followed by some stretching and shadow sparring. I was pretty winded just from the run. I am so far out of shape it is pitiful.

After warm-up, we did some pretty awesome combos for the instructional portion of the class. I got paired up with a guy named Ash. He is from Wales. His Muay Thai is really good, and our drilling was on point.

Next we did 3 rounds of Thai pads with a trainer. I was super lucky to have gotten the trainer I did. He has a very slow, measured pace. We really clicked together, so I am going to try to get some privates from him.

3 Rounds on heavy bags were next. I can not lie, I loafed my way through them because I was already beat, and I knew sparring was next. Fortunately, it worked. I got a second wind and was ready to go.

My first round, I went with one of the Thai trainers, as there were an odd number of us in class. He is really tall with long legs. He picked me apart, but did not try to take my head off. He was very good defensively as well. I thread a 10-punch combo at him and he dodged every one of them. I got him a few times in the round, which usually results in the trainer knocking your block off. He was really good and could have if he had wanted to, but did not. I'm glad he was in a good mood.

My next round was with Ash. His Muay Thai is really good. We had a very evenly matched round, that was very controlled and fun.

For my final round, I went with a Goliath-sized German named Lucifer. I was pleasantly surprised when we sparred because he did not go ape shit like most German fighters do. He was very under control, and we had an awesome match. He had good energy, thread a lot of solid combos as did I. Fun stuff.

We finished with some conditioning-Knees and teeps on the heavy bags until we dropped. And with that, I survived my first day back. I have decided I am only going to do one session per day this first week here, and up it to two-a-days next week, then add a private class for three-a-days thereafter.

I'm sore as hell, and can barely move. Time for a Thai massage, and back at it tomorrow.